Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Winzip Encryption

From: Jon Uriona <jurionamendi () yahoo es>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:42:26 +0200

Hi,

What kind of cracking attack did you apply?? A dictionary attack?

If your passwords are composed of dictionary words (or a guessable
combination of them), and your cracking algorithm is known (doesn't
matter which, DES or even AES256), then you are lost.

Just a combination of well established passwords (you know the rules of
choosing hard passwords, don't you?) plus an updated algorithm are a
robust election.

Cheers,

JU

acwang0048 () gmail com escribió:
Hi,

People told me that the latest version of winzip has AES encryption to protect files and should be much safer than
its eariler version like v8.

However, when I tested it with password cracker products like “archpr”, I can easily get the password. So why it
claims using AES in the latest version when it is that easy to find a way to retrteive documents inside winzip!

Well, anyone has any good suggestions for a safe way to send out compressed documents?

Many Thanks,
Wang