Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Voice Encryption

From: "Kelly Keeton" <kellyrkeeton () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:15:13 -0700

I am aware that the software must exist on either end my use case
didn't imply that the receiving end had no idea of the encryption in
use, the use case also didnt state every call is encrypted it stated
that i would start up laptop encrypt voice and far end would have
software and phone.

I am not looking for apple or oranges I am looking for a on the fly
encryption product that will take analog voice and transmit it over my
medium of choice be it POTS Cellular VOIP, HAM radio, who cares I have
the analog carrier signal and that is universal to my use case. Then
allow a decode of that digital stream back into analog voice ..think
fax machine if you need analogy.

also another reply suggested IPSEC - that would not fit the use case
as the last caller clearly stated that a POTS phone cant deal with IP
let alone any logic other then DTMF, so that also will not fit the use
case.

the zfone project is actually a commercial version of the PGPfone
which is free, and its limited to SIP phone only obviously making the
use of the POTS system null unless you have a SIP device on your
receiver.

the ham radio hobby has lots of ways to accomplish this but due to FCC
you cant transmit easily to decode transmissions so no one spends time
developing this in the ham radio software world.

however the idea is 100% practical and 100% plausible its in use today
in a lot of applications but I want to have an application where
rather then using RTTY or voice-inversion this would be a high
encryption voice encryption product using known standards for
encryption. hell as you stated you need a call control set up, you
could even use DH to exchange the key pair and get your IPSEC tunnel
on the fly with one time keys.

hint hint this email is helping someone get a idea to make this software...