Security Basics mailing list archives

TCP port 1042 with WSUS and IIS - devil port?

From: Albert Siow <albert_siow () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:37:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
 I had just setup a Ms Windows2003 server at home which is running for Active Directory domain controller, DNS, file
and printer server. The OS is updated frequently. Recently, I add on its role as a WSUS as well, which require IIS,
.Net framework 2.0.
 After WSUS is setup, i found out that port 1042 is opened. On Nessus scan report, it is reported 'blah11', but the
description show:

By sending a Lookup request to the portmapper (TCP 135 or epmapper
PIPE) it was possible to enumerate the Distributed Computing Environment
(DCE) services running on the remote port.
Using this information it is possible to connect and bind to
each service by sending an RPC request to the remote port/pipe.

It is labelled as Informational in Nessus, but I wondering do I really need this port? Besides, I also found port 1026,
1027, 1028, 1148 opened? Should these port be closed?

Thanks for your advice.