Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Designing file server file/folder structure.

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:58:07 +1000

Hey Nick, I find this quite difficult to implement easily and
'automatically' too.
We're in virtually the same boat and have department names linked to
security groups so that at some level it's easy for the logon script.
We use a CASE SELECT statement to filter which groups get which drives and
this is helpful for the main departments. I've been thinking of creating
'special' case sec groups so that they can have access to other dept drives
or just certain folders within other depts' drives. Eg
Case "ADMIN+ACCTS"
            WSHNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "I:", "\\joeserver\ADMIN",PERSISTENT

I'm drawing up a venn diagram to try and visualize what goes on. If I was
smart enough I could make some software to make the venn diagram the gui for
something that set perms and added users or depts. to the correct groups.
Unfortunately I'm not ;-)

The 'worst' thing is if there is a single file several levels down in one
dept that another dept require. I can give access to just that file and no
others but it is unwieldy as it seems to become very ad hoc.
Then of course, the other factors such as setting more granular perms.

The other side of the coin is educating users to put their files in the
right places.
"If you don't want people to read your stuff put it here. If you couldn't
care less put it here. If they can read but not change put it here."
Most of the time, because speed trumps security, then the files just end up
J:\AnywhereIfeltLikeatTheTime.

How many staff evals have I seen on the totally shared drives?