Security Basics mailing list archives

Storing Windows Event Logs.

From: "Nick Vaernhoej" <nick.vaernhoej () capitalcardservices com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:41:51 -0500

Good morning,

We are currently capturing Windows Server 2003 event logs using Snare
and Kiwi. Has been working smooth and I recommend this for a simple
useful setup.
My questions is in regards to the new event logs from Windows Server
2008. The new events can hold quite the lengthy explanation. Kiwi is set
to only capture the first 1024 characters in an event meaning half of
all messages logged are cut in at least half. The important information
is captured so I am not overly concerned. I just don't appreciate the
"mess" in the logs. Is it time to look at a new product for off-server
log storage?

Is there someone out there who has tackled this in some way?
Ideally I would like Windows Server 2008 to not provide its speculations
within the event logs.

Thank you

Nick

This electronic transmission is intended for the addressee (s) named above. It contains information that is privileged,
confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any review, disclosure, copy, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in
reliance on its contents, or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender that this message was received in error and then delete this message.
Thank you.