Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: MSc in Information Security

From: "reflect ocean" <reflect.ocean () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 19:45:09 -0500

Pete:

I 've been going through the same situation over the past few months.I
am pondering the value of a MSc in information security since as you
mention many security job positions doesn't seem to value or require a
specific infosec master degree as much as i thought.
I even have considered taking Royal Holloway program since i never
read a bad review of its content and a quite a few enthusiastic
comments about it.The only drawback i see with Royal Holloway is it's
not listed as a CAE (Is this recogniztion related to only USA
Universities?) but it certainly has other valuable accreditations in
Europe.Other considerations you should take into account is the fact
that there is a trend to hold non-geeky skills in high regard which
means basically that maybe you should blend your tech skills with some
MBA or IT-Business master degree before getting enrolled into a MSc in
Information security.I for one am currently about to get security some
certifications and go for a MSc that provides me with a wider view of
IT.

Finally I'd recommend you to take your decision based on what stage
your career is and proritize your educational options.At least that's
what I will do.