Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: using promiscuous mode to tabulate network statistics

From: "Daniel G. Rohan" <d-rohan () northwestern edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:48:20 +0300

Hi Terra,

Wireshark will indeed do what you are looking for in the first described scenario.  After you capture, or open up a
saved capture, you can click on Statistics > IP Address > Create Stats (do not filter).

As far as viewing real-time statistics, Wireshark used to provide an interface for very simple stats (percentage of
protocols, bytes captured, etc), but I don't see that option anymore (perhaps it's there and buried). You might want to
download an old version of Ethereal (previous name of Wireshark) and use that to provide your real-time analysis and
then use the Wireshark for any post-capture needs. If this is just a lab environment, this method might suffice.  If
it's a more permanent or production environment, I would suggest using Cisco netflow and a collector box to gather the
statistics you are looking for.

Good luck,

Dan