Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls and PCI

From: <Anthony_Cicalla () McAfee com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:12:59 -0800

If you simply did proper input validation in your application you would be
able to make your systems secure without the web application firewall. We
certify people pci compliant that do not have web application firewalls all
of the time. Do a proper code review of your web application and make sure
all data even if it doesn't come from the end user is validated.  If you
have a product id number, don't accept anything accept 0-9 it's really that
simple. Sql injection is a vulnerability in the coding of your web
application fix the source of the problem instead of using a band aid
provided by some other company. If you need to know how to test your web
application go to www.owasp.com and look at their methodology. They even
show you examples of how to test for each vuln in their methodology.

Sincerely,

Anthony Cicalla,

CNA, CEH, CISSP, GSNA, MCP, SCTA

Research Scientist