Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Web Traffic Security and Eavesdropping

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:04:27 -0800

  I think it was less than two months ago that there was an alert
about rogue routers spoofing BGP info in order to get traffic for
a chosen destination network sent to an attacker.  I seem to
recall seeing a rootkit for IOS talked about as well.  Or of
course there could be an insider at an ISP -- perhaps a transit
carrier with no contractual obligation to either endpoint.

  Sending sensitive information across the Internet unencrypted
is like mailing it on a postcard.  Postal employees are, on the
whole, honourable and honest -- but all it takes is one, somewhere,
or somebody willing and able to get into a mailbox....

David Gillett