Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windoze GPO Question

From: "Jorge L. Vazquez" <jlvazquez825 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:30:05 -0500

Steve Armstrong wrote:
Gpo's are always applied - otherwise the client could undo security and
other features when away from the DC. Remember they are not connected to
the domain, but they are still part of it.

Try making an ou for laptop users that have permissions to apply other
dhcp settings.

Plus they should not be logging into 'this computer'. It will mess up
their settings. If you have remote connectivity you still want users
logging into the domain, and this will also allow them to use domain
resourses remotely without having to sign on again.

Having users operating with local accounts on laptops is bad as these
are not subject to domain password policy etc as this is defined on the
local system. This usually means users can have blank passwords it the
same ones for years - neither if which are good.

Remember gpo's are for both the machine and the user. Until the machine
is removed from the domain, domain gpo's will be applied. This is
regardless of the users status (domain or local).

But that's all windows (note spelling) domain/active directory basics -
not really doze!

Steve Armstrong

Technical Security Director
Logically Secure

Tel. 01522 689799
Mob. 07970 929583

(sent from a mobile device, so please excuse any typos)