Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Getting the value of an asset and the probability of a risk to it

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:21:33 -0400

Rivest, Philippe wrote:
Currently doing my CISA and i have one small question, how do you do a quantitative risk assesment.
Qualitative i understand, low,med,high or 1-10. but a quantitative risk assessment is harder and a bit more complex

A) I know that first you need to identify your assets
B) Then you have to identify the asset value for the enterprise (first problem)
C) Then you have to identify the risks that your asset have
D) You have to identify the impact and probability of these risk (my main question is how to do this)
E) You then have to calculate the risk per asset which is clear to me.

Okay, let's say you have intellectual property (IP) stored in electronic
form, and it is worth $100M. If your competition gets the data, it could
easily cost your company $25M a year in lost sales over the next 4
years. The IP concerns a sensitive product under development which you
know your competition in Asia (or, even an Asian government) would pay
someone to illegally obtain.

The IP is stored in an encrypted database. However, when it is retrieved
from the database, it becomes clear text. Given that, how do you even
associate a SWAG with any of the following risks?
1) Someone with access to the IP, or someone on the network in the same
broadcast domain, visited a legitimate web site that had been hacked (or
opens an email attachment, etc.), and a keystroke logger or network
sniffer not detected by AV was loaded onto their box and phones home vis
SSL with all documents it encounters?
2) You have a mole?
3) Your data is backed up as clear text and the backup is copied, lost
or stolen?
4) Someone violates policy and makes a copy of the document on a
computer, CD/DVD, flash drive, etc., and the computer/media gets lost or
is stolen?
5) The CEO of the company prints out a copy of the document, and since
s/he thinks they do not have to follow the rules, takes it home and
leaves it on a table in their home's entry hall, and a dinner guest from
a competitor sees it and walks out with it?
6) What are the chances of a fire, tornado, nuclear warhead, etc.
destroying all copies of the IP and it is not easily reproduced?
7) You have a WAP you do not know about?
8) You have a printer that has been hacked and phones home with all
documents?
9) Someone has WiFi / WiMax / Bluetooth enabled on their computer and an
outside forms a peer-to-peer connection to the computer and copies off
all documents on the computer?
10) Someone emails an encrypted copy of the IP to their HotMail account
so they can work on it at home and their home computer has been hacked?

How do you know that you have even identified all the 'reasonable'
risks? The short answer is, you don't know and can't know. For example,
before 911, few people, if any one, would have thought that using
another building in the WTC complex for off-site storage was a bad idea.

(For the record, I have ALWAYS thought that having off-site storage
within 50 miles of a primary site was insane! Plus, for some locations,
that distance is not far enough. For example, because of hurricane risk
here in Charleston, going 150 miles up the coast to Wilmington, NC for
an off-site storage just doesn't cut it IMHO!)

I have yet to see a quantitative risk assessment that didn't leave me
laughing hysterically.

Bottom line: I personally do not believe that it is possible to do a
quantitative risk assessment and anyone who thinks otherwise either does
not understand today's risk environment, or is delusional.

My $0.02 worth!

Jon Kibler
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-224-2494
s: 843-564-4224

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253

http://www.trustem.com/