Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protecting the enterprise wireless network

From: "Sergio Castro" <sergio.castro () unicin net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 12:04:39 -0500

Hi Zeffy,

They way we set a similar wifi network is using 2Wire wifi access points
connected to a Foundry switch, using a VLAN. Access to the Internet is
controlled through a Juniper firewall. The switch is configured in such a
way that each port connected to an access point knows the mac address of the
access point, and will not transmit packets if it detects a different mac
address. Thus, if someone hooks up a laptop to the access point's ethernet
connection, the switch will not transmit. (Of course a dedicated hacker
inside your building could spoof the mac address).

With pretty much any decent firewall you can control the protocols you want
to permit AND add business rules such as limiting by time of day, by user,
by access point, etc.

As to load balancing, unless you have a 14.4K modem I wouldn't worry about
it :)
You probably have several Mbs in Internet access, and your users will only
use a fraction of it. Don't spend your budget on traffic shapers unless
you're an ISP providing services to corporate customers.

As to wifi security, I strongly recommend using WPA; WEP can be cracked in
minutes. As an extra layer of security you may want to limit the power of
the access points to cover only the office or meeting room, so packets won't
leak outside your physical perimeter. And remember, don't put your company's
name in the SSID! :)

As to limiting an attacker, bear in mind that if a laptop is compromised,
the hacker will have the same privileges as the user. But maybe I don't
understand your last question? Care to elaborate?

Regards,

Sergio