Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Email Encryption

From: "Daniel I. Didier" <ddidier () netsecureia com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:59:52 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com
[mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com]
On Behalf Of Preston Kutzner
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:09 PM
To: pete.hill () sit-up tv
Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Email Encryption

On 14 May 2008 08:08:07 -0000
pete.hill () sit-up tv wrote:

Hi there,

I am currently running through a PCI program at my company and am
looking for recommendations on an email encryption tool.

We currently use a licensed version of Winzip, but I have heard that
this may not be up to job as far as passing a PCI DSS audit is
concerned.

Is Winzip good enough?  and if not, what should we be using to get a
pass on this?

Many thanks
Pete

More information would be handy to help give a reasonable answer.
What
OS are you using?  What MUA are you using?  What are you trying to
encrypt in your email?  If you're using WinZip currently, I would
assume you're just looking to encrypt the attachment.  Are you also
looking to be able to encrypt (and sign) the entire email message?  Is
compression necessary for your application?

As far as email encryption is concerned, typical methods for this
application usually consist of either SSL certificates or PGP/GPG
encryption.

Pete,
You may also want to look into a centralized secure email gateway.  They
typically work as an add-on, or in conjunction with your existing MUA.
They work by intercepting email messages based on any number of criteria
and then simply send a notification to the recipient that a secure email
is waiting for them.  The recipient then follows a link in the email and
connects to the secure web front-end to retrieve the message.  Solutions
exist from organizations such as tumbleweed, rsa, pgp and others.  I
hope this helps.

Dan Didier
www.NetSecureIA.com