Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure large file distribution

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 17:45:33 +0200

On 2008-05-14 chris () horizonsolutions tv wrote:
We run a service of PPV videos, live and recorded.   One of the issues
we're having at the moment is making our large files (700mb – 1.5gb)
available for download.

The issue is dealing with people who disconnect and wish to resume.
Our current situation of not wanting to allow files to the casual
browser and the more savvy user means we provide a unique link to the
file each time, which causes problems with the various downloading
applications out there.

That approach is pretty annoying for any user. Is there a problem using
authentication to prevent unauthorized access to the files?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."