Security Basics mailing list archives

Ответ: Security of PCL and PostScript

From: "Gleb Paharenko" <gpaharenko () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:55:07 +0300

Hi.

From my experience, there were cases where printer or print server has
hanged with a complex
document, and there fore need to be restarted. Perhaps, theoretically
you can exploit this not only for DOS. However I do not have
information about public exploits.

2008/5/13, Paul Johnston <paj () pajhome org uk>:
Hi,

I've been told a few times PCL and PostScript are fully functional
stack-based languages. Had anyone successfully compromised a printer, by
submitting a job that contains malicious PCl or PostScript? I'd be
particularly interested to know if this is an inherent weakness with the
languages, or a specific vulnerability that has existed in some versions of
printer firmware, but been patched since.

Regards,

Paul

--
Best regards.