Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: End Point Security - relying on one vendor's product a weakness in itself?

From: 6us4jxp02 () sneakemail com
Date: 6 Mar 2008 12:39:35 -0000

With regards to the Total endpoint solution, for the most part I was taught and have learned that a completely multi
vendor solution is the only way in which to achieve "Defense in Depth" or a "Layered Defense" approach.  But as I grew
smarter and wiser in this field I have learned.

Defense in Depth is layer technologies on top of one another, but has nothing to do with a vendor agnostic approach.
What happens in a vendor agnostic approach is increased price and complexity.  While most vendors arent able to
implement multi-vendor supported solutions because of the closed nature of software, we are stuck augmenting the
operations of the solutions.  This drives up the complexity within our own network enviornments by at least 10 fold.

I have tested some of the new endpoint security solutions and the one thing that I have found is that they work pretty
well, most of the new approaches have been to integrate entire solutions to include AV/AS, Firewalls, IPS/IDS, and
other solutions.  They include everything that I need from one vendor which makes support issues easier.

Just remember though, the comment posted previously which says if you have a hole in one machine, then you have them on
all of your windows machines is incorrect.  The defense in depth approach means that you would have to have a hole
through your Entire Security structure through the Gateway, then your firewall, then your core router, then your
internal routing grid, then your servers, then your desktops and so on.  If you have this type of vulnerabillity or any
mix of these then you need a security makeover by the extreme makeover business teams!  =)

In the end, choose what works best for you.  These solutions works well for my company of over 150,000+ people, but
your company might have different needs.
Thanks,
HaYNstyle