Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XML Firewall

From: "Peter, Matthew F." <matt.peter () capgemini com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:40:31 -0400

To add to this,

We have deployed IBM DataPower as an XML Firewall for a number of
customers. Its typically deployed around the edges of a network. The
documentation can give you more specifics, but its two major advantage
categories are:

- Offload XML Processing to firmware: All encryption, decryption,
authorization, etc is done on the appliance at wirespeed rather than an
application server, which can be a big performance hit in traditional
deployments

- Content based AAA: A variety of different security policies can be
defined and incorporated into legacy systems. For a quick example, if a
legacy service uses HTTP Basic, this can be transformed into a SAML or
WS-Security artifact to be processed by a backend system, or
authenticated against a Radius server.

It can also protect against DOS attacks, XML based SQL injection, and
virus scanning of encoded content, to name just a few features.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/integration/datapower/library/index.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp4327.html

~ Matt