Security Basics mailing list archives

Retrieve a mac address box

From: <dxavsourd-nilux () yahoo fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:29:19 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

I'm not sure that my question suits the scope of this
list, sorry if I'm wrong.

I want to find a way to send a packet to a wired box
which ip address is unknown, and where no dhcp client
and/or server runs, in order to find the MAC address
of the target. Is there a way to do this using
Ethernet protocol

What kind of software is the most usefull for this
kind of software? How could Nmap be helpfull ? I found
the ethernet packet generator Packeth tool on my
debian box, but I don't know how to use it and
generate well formed packets. Can I get any advice ?

Thanks, Xavier Droubay

Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et
l'international.