Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DMZ to LAN SMTP connections

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:07:14 -0800

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:07 AM, ыфзкфт <sapran () gmail com> wrote:
Hi list.

<snip>
 And I wonder is that rule allowing MTAs to connect Exchange ESMTP
 correct. I mean I heard a lot about denying connections from the
 networks with lower security level into secured networks, LAN in this
 case. Is this restriction to SMTP traffic only enough, or should I
 choose some other design: NAT Exchange:25/tcp outside to DMZ, use
 fetchmail, or something like that?

 Thanks in advance for all your response.

Assuming that the DMZ is hanging off a port of your firewall, I would
think that opening port 25 from your postfix boxes (only!) to your
Exchange server (only!) is worth the minimal amount of risk,
especially if you consider the complexities in installing and
maintaining a Cygwin installation on your Exchange server. This
assumes that you've properly locked down your Postfix boxes and the OS
on which they run, and monitor them as you should.

Kurt