Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mangement security report

From: Pierre Cadieux <hobbit () theshire com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:52:18 -0700

Hi Patrick,

This is a good initiative and I wish you luck, it can be difficult to get started, but the added visibility is critical. Some suggestions:

Find out what your management is concerned about, and educate them on some of the things that concern you, hopefully you're on the same page or close. If they are concerned with (for example) number of incidents over the past quarter, that would be a good place to start with as a statistic.

Keep things high level and targeted at your audience. Not sure if this is technical management or business management, either way you don't want to go in to the details in your high level report, but make them aware you would be happy to discuss these further in detail as requested.

Depending on what services your security team provides, those could also be obvious things to present (if you have a security awareness program, how many people attended the last training, how many classes have been held so far in the year, if you have a service to assess all new applications or deployments, then you can show the number of projects that have been assessed, the number of items identified or remediated, etc.).

If you can, chart the progress you are making "up and to the right" business execs especially are used to seeing good news going in this direction, so even if you are (for example) reducing the number of vulnerable systems on your network, make the chart display the progress in a positive spin.

->Pierre

Patrick A Hendrick wrote:
I know this has come across this list before, but I would appreciate any feedback. I want to begin giving either monthly or quarterly security reports to management. I'm curious if there are standards for these types of reports, such as what should be included. I'm afraid that I would get too detailed. What items do you recommend being in a management security report?