Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: remote authentication

From: "Eric Pinkerton" <EPinkerton () soulaustralia com au>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:35:20 +1100

There are many products out there that claim to be reliable enough to
use voice recognition as a second factor, and who boast some pretty
impressive clients - http://www.voicevault.com/ is just one example.

It is my impression (and I may be wrong) that these are adopted mainly
to solve problems with resourcing rather than security, and I would
guess that is a cost related consideration.

Normal best practice is to send the password 'out of band', so either by
calling them back on a mobile you have listed in the GAL, or a home
phone, or as someone suggested leaving them a vmail on their work phone.

Yes users can be placed under duress, but in this case almost every
system is flawed, and reseting a password for someone who has a gun to
their head is the last of your problems.

Interestingly enough, some voice auth recognition systems claim to be
able to detect the user being under duress!

How many Tom Clancy novels the marketing dept has read could be a
contributing factor on this though....