Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: is it possible to find geographical place of email sender from email headers

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 08:19:54 +1000

You can use sites like this:
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

just plugin an IP and away you go.

However, the accuracy depends on lots of factors-one of which is whether any
of the IP's have been spoofed or not...I'm guessing that you are trying to
trace exactly where the email originated from. Plus, they're all private
IP's so I don't think you'll get anywhere with those.

If it had been an external IP I sometimes try to get a rough idea of 'where'
by doing a tracert and hoping I can get soemthing by decoding the names that
you often get in the name of the hops.

Here is a good run-down of checking headers for clues:

http://128.175.24.251/invtips.htm

Looks like it was from another gmail account. Which makes me wonder...I
imagine it is possible to spoof a message id format too.
Not sure if gmail have some policy that would aid you in finding the
'culprit'-eg if the email contains anything threatening/defamatory etc but
then you'd have to go to the police to even have a remote chance of getting
anywhere.