Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?

From: Brent Huston <lbhlists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:25:00 -0400

I would say there are several risk that come with open/free wi-fi.

I would break the risks down into two categories: risks against the user's system and risks against the network transactions.

You manage the risks to the user's systems using tools like firewalls, HoneyPoint:Network Trust Agent (our product), current anti-virus and malware tools and ensuring that the system is secure from an overall standpoint (everything from laptop locks to current patches and from proper passwords to drive encryption). This is similar to any other network exposure, except that you should treat any free wi-fi as if you were plugging directly into the PUBLIC Internet without any type of controls in place (you don't know what is/might be there).

Risks against the network transactions are managed through the awareness (don't do private stuff without a VPN connection or the like), proper browser and other client security (everything from proper SSL settings and trusts to cookie ACLs and the like) and through controls like VPN, etc.

As a corporate policy, most clients forbid any business related activity without a VPN connection back to the "mothership". Many of our clients only allow basic web browsing from free wi-fi and nothing else. In addition, many of our clients have tools in place to ensure that typical users can not install software, operate their firewall at all times, have proper passwords and up-to-date malware defenses.

Hopefully that answers your questions, at least to a basic level. To go deeper, I would suggest you perform some basic risk assessment techniques that brings into play the type of data that you would like to protect, the security posture of your typical laptop/PDA user and the threat models you see as the primary risks to your organization.

If you want to explore deeper, just ask!

---
Brent Huston, CHS-III
Security Evangelist & CEO
http://www.microsolved.com
Assessments, Application/Device Security & HoneyPoint