Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN Risk Assessment

From: Pierre Cadieux <hobbit () theshire com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:02:27 -0700

Not sure how decisions are made in your organization, but it sounds like they want the ammo to use when they are questioned about spending the money (likely the VPN solution is fairly new and someone is likely to ask, why these things weren't identified originally, etc.).

I would first rate the risks you identified by priority and by impact, so you can show what would be the consequence if your recommendations are not accepted. Also be clear about what can be done in phases (you can implement end point security without necessarily changing the authentication method/adding a second factor). Be clear in your assessment of the solutions, there may be solutions you can suggest that can be low/minimum impact from a time or resource commitment. Depending on the types of business and data your organization deals with, there may be additional factors that may help you make your point (Regulatory compliance requirements, PCI requirements, company architecture or policy).

Good luck,

->Pierre

blagoon () gmail com wrote:
Hi all,

I was tasked to do a risk assessment on our SSL VPN deployment. And I came up with the following:
- Authentication: Single factor is too weak, we'll be to use a hard token for a 2nd factor.
- End Point Security: we need to verify the integrity of the connecting host (company asset, antivirus, patches),
install cache cleaner and force inactive session timeouts.
- Access control: limit full vpn access, implement resource profiles for different group of users, or only RDP to
users' desktop in the office.

But apparently it is not enough for my manager, and asked to expand this report. Any suggestions on areas I might have
missed?

Thanks,