Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching internet facing MS systems

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:48:44 -0800

If I had Internet-facing machines, it would depend on the exact
configuration of the server WRT my enterprise.

If they were, as they are in your situation, in a DMZ on the same
physical site as my business, I'd open up port 3389 from my trusted
network into the DMZ, and RDP into the machines. That would allow me
to copy over the patches, or if I were more adventurous, allow me to
use IE to manually visit the MSFT update and download sites.

If RDP fails your conditions for security, you might also consider a
long-reach or IP KVM with a disjoint subnet.