Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Why bandwidth consuming ddos attack using only udp or icmp?

From: "Scott" <whip () supportmenot com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 10:44:51 +1100

It depends on what the attacker is trying to deny access to, and how they
are trying to do it.

In the example of ICMP & UDP attacks, they are likely to be trying to flood
routers and firewalls with packets, which will slow down or even stop
legitimate TCP packets from flowing. When a router starts to get
overloaded, TCP packets and connections are slowed down, which obviously
affects your legit TCP traffic.

In the case of a TCP attack on port 80, they are likely to be trying to
take down your web server.

Cheers,
Scott

Need relief from IT support stress?