Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RAID 5 drive replacement schedule

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:25:20 -0400

Philippe,
I think that this conversation has become too philosophical (mental masturbation even). The roles of an IT department depend on the entity in which the IT department exists. What people should do, and what people are actually responsible for are usually two different things.

With respect to CIA, it is not the end-all be-all definition to Information Security, IT Security, or any other form of security. It is a good acronym to help people remember important aspects of security, but in my opinion thats about it. (and no I don't want to get into another CIA discussion.)

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

Rivest, Philippe wrote:
The purpose of IT is to abide by the rules and decision made by the data
owner (be it system or entity owner). No design should be done, before you
know the classification of the data simply because they may be no need for
redundancy or they may be specific needs.

You stated it back wards when you said:
- My thought is that at some point it comes down to system design and basic
IT considerations.

Also you are incorrect with this statement:
-Simplified it seems to me that the entire purpose of IT is to ensure
availability.

The purpose of IT is to respect the CIA in regards to the need of the company
or data owner, no more or no less. IT is only an organization that services
the needs of the data/system owner in a technological manner.

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest () transforce ca
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca