Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Was Re: RAID 5 drive replacement schedule - Now "Availability"

From: "Mike Hale" <eyeronic.design () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:27:19 -0700

"It does not mean that hardware reliability becomes a security issue."
You're absolutely right, and I think I simply didn't post that clearly
enough.  :)

"This means that regardless of our security implementations we have to
make the data available to users."
Well, yes and no.  That's where the CIA triad comes in.  A company
needs to decide which of the points to focus on.  It's a trade-off,
and you really can't do all three things perfectly.  Sometimes, the
confidentiality of your data is of paramount importance.  In that
case, you do want to pull the plug if necessary while accepting the
risk of making the data unavailable.