Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Trend Micro's AV 'cloud'

From: pinowudi <pinowudi () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:04:28 -0400

Great, P2P AV software. Sounds exploitable. I would like to see and test this product concept before trusting that a cloud of AV peers is going to provide any level of reasonable protection. Also, how do you get protection if your host is not network-connected to the 'cloud'. It seems like it's just offloading the protection processing of the AV components to the network, where it will be less noticeable when calculated into the baseline.

Murda Mcloud wrote:
Moving away from signature based AV and into the 'cloud'?
Lots of people(smarter than me, no doubt) have made noises about the slow
death of sig based AV.

What do people think will be the future and what are people investing in for
their own/company protection moving forward.

http://www.cio.in/news/viewArticle/ARTICLEID=5013548

Is this just Trend's marketing speak? Or real innovation?