Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Deny access to copy files

From: Craig Wright <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:24:04 +1000

If we make the assumption that all configurations, applications and hosts are locked down the same way. From a security
and risk perspective.

To simplify:
3 hosts with individual CHMOD gaols
        Is better than
3 hosts each with a single app Is comparable to 3 VMs each with a single app in a chmod gaol
        Is better than
3 VMs each with a single app
        Is better than
1 host with 3 Chmod gaols
        Is better than
I host with 3 apps all running together

As for cost, I can get 3 hosts for less than $1500. For a small firm where the issue is not space cooling etc, the cost
argument is flawed.

" quite possible these days that production systems *will* be virtual"
That is fine as long as the risk is quantified correctly and the appropriate controls are in place. If all systems are
on the same zone then this is a lessor risk than when people share zones (ie DMZ and production on the same hypervisor
- and I have seen Gartner present this as well as a host outside the firewall etc).

As the network on a VM is a hub based environment, the issue with separate zones is that information can leak. That is
internal and external segments can see each other. There are mitigating controls, but these are controls that are not
necessary on physical servers and also ones that are commonly neglected.

Also remember that the networks with VMs are not switched. This is they are in effect hubs. It is simple to sniff all
traffic from host to host. Adding separate cards can help, but increases cost.

Have a look at:
        Xensploit - http://www.eecs.umich.edu/techreports/cse/2007/CSE-TR-539-07.pdf
        VMotion
        VM Migration

A quote from the recent Blackhat:
"One of the underlying themes of my presentation is that we've been continually breaking down isolations barriers that
provide security in exchange for new functionality," Oberheide.

Oberheide noted that systems have moved from physical machines where state is protected by hardware mechanisms such as
the MMU. Virtual machines protect the machine state in the isolation boundaries of a software layer such as the
VMM/Hypervisor, ".which, as we've seen, often fails in its isolation," to VM migration where the machine state is
exposed to the local network. So there are controls that can be added to reduce the risk, but these are additional
controls not needed on real systems.

Also have a read of:
" An Empirical Study into the Security Exposure to Hosts of Hostile Virtualized Environments" Tavis Ormandy
http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf

Some further reading:
T. Shelton, "VMware natd heap overflow", http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-December/040442.html

G. Delalleau, "Large Memory Management Vulnerabilities", http://cansecwest.com/core05/memory_vulns_delalleau.pdf

Popek, G. J. and Goldberg, R. P. 1974. Formal requirements for virtualizable
third generation architectures. Commun. ACM 17, 7 (Jul. 1974), 412-421

K. Kato, "VMware Backdoor", http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/backdoor.html

Regards,
Craig Wright GSE etc

Craig Wright
Manager, Risk Advisory Services

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW-VIC) Pty. Ltd.
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
http://www.bdo.com.au/

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential. If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls. It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects. BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached. A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au/ or by emailing mailto:administrator ()
bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.