Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: exchange data between two different systems

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:56:51 +0200

On 2008-07-06 Mohammad N. Tina wrote:
i am in process to start exchanging data with another system, there
will no direct connection due to security reasons.(from my side and
there), I am thinking to exchange data using XML files send via
email...

is there a best way to exchange data, i am open to recommendation

You supplied way too little information to allow for a recommendation.
What kind of data do you want to transfer (binary or text)? Amounts?
Frequency? Do you have time limits?

Usually e-mail is not a recommendable way to transfer large amounts of
data (special circumstances notwithstanding), since it increases the
volume by roughly 1/3 due to the encoding. Using XML will just add to
that problem rather than solve it.

cu
59cobalt
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."