Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password variation scheme a plus in security?

From: "Stefan Schmidt" <Stefan.Schmidt () gmx net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:00:27 +0200

If you don't want to use the same password for all sites, save the
passwords in an encrypted vault (e.g. KeePass [1]) and look them up
whenever needed.

I am using one of these password managers currently, but I find it rather inconvinient. A web-based open source
solution would be nice, but I haven't found one.

DO NOT USE PASSWORDS DERIVED THROUGH DETERMINISTIC ALGORITHMS. EVER.

Kerckhoff's Principle explains why that is a bad thing.

Yes, security by obscurity is certainly a bad thing and if wanted a 100% secure solution I' certainly use a separate
secure password for every single site, but I was looking for an alternative to grant me a 90% secure solution without
the hassle. So my question was not "Is this secure ?" but rather "How likely is it for hackers to test for password
schemes".

Stefan