Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Restricting private "webmail" access from government employer network?

From: "Bernd Lippert (Infrastructure Support)" <bernd.lippert () gijima com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:17:32 +0100

I have no idea how government user behaviour differs from our country to any other. Saying that and also bearing in
mind we are a development country I found giving access to the non-work based webmail is actually beneficial. First and
foremost our most of our ministries make use of a common service strucutre which is outdated and poorly supported.
Without non-work webmail there would be no way for the some of the government workers to have proper access to this
vital communication tool. The government webmail is virtually non excisting and many government workers use their non
work related webmail (mostly Gmail from what I can gather) as a primary e-mail address.
This obviously is not a permanent solution but usually allows for temporary solution until a more sustainable and
scaleble solution is put in place.
In our case (sad but true) I can immediately state that non-work related webmail is more secure than the government
messaging system.
I think it all depends on what type of govermental institute it is, compliances need to be followed and how serious and
skilled the ICT team is.
-B