Security Basics mailing list archives

software security auditing in Linux-based systems

From: Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:52:17 -0600

After some cursory searching, and having used a few distributions for a
few years, I haven't found any software vulnerability auditing software
for any Linux distribution equivalent to FreeBSD's portaudit or NetBSD's
audit-packages.  In fact, FreeBSD seems to have two such tools, as it can
claim vxquery in addition to portaudit, and I have yet to find even one
such tool for any Linux distribution.  Have I missed something obvious?
Is there such a tool for any Linux distribution out there?

Failing that -- is there at least something like the vuxml RSS feeds [1]
for FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but for Linux distributions instead?

If no comparable vulnerability auditing tools exist for any Linux
distributions, this seems like a pretty significant oversight.

==
[1]: http://www.vuxml.org/

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
McCloctnick the Lucid: "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste