Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DNS flaw for home users...

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:32:37 +1000

Aha-we possibly have a 'chicken and egg race' here, if we're being super
paranoid. Can they check their home DNS setup using the doxpara or the
dns-oarc tools before the cache gets poisoned and they get sent to a fake
doxpara site and then can't trust anything? Lol. I suppose the best thing
would be to switch to OpenDNS anyway.

Seriously though, that's a good point. It's a similar thing to our process
of making sure their home machines aren't used to connect to our network;
why? because we can't be assured that their home machines are free of
spyware etc.
Whereas we have a greater degree of confidence with regards to their
laptops.

So, I think you're doing what I am here. Making sure they are guided as much
as possible. My interest was less for the home to work connections as it was
with just building awareness and telling them to contact their ISP if the
test comes up poor or to switch to OpenDNS as you and others have suggested.