Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: password protect pen drive

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:03:40 -0600

First, I'm curious, can TrueCrypt passwords actually have rainbow tables? I don't think so, depending which password
encryption/hash you use with TrueCrypt. I'm pretty sure they're exempt from realistic rainbow table use.

Second, how do you come by the 1.68 hours to crack the password? I have no doubt one can bruteforce the TrueCrypt
password, but you will need to devise your own script and also a positive check in order to do it, no? I wouldn't be
surprised if something can run through TrueCrypt attempts quickly (depending on how fast it tells you 'fail'), so I'm
just curious where that number came from.

Third, I don't know any system that can't be brute-forced when the password is simple or easy. It's just a matter of
how costly it is for the attacker to accomplish. You would need lockouts or timeouts to make this too costly for an
attacker to wait for. Or use a large password that would take a long time to process. For something as "stripped" as
disk encryption, you'll want to use a long password as opposed to expecting a vendor to build more intelligence into
the process.

<- snip ->

infolookup (at) gmail (dot) com [email concealed] wrote:
How good is TrueCrypt I tried it and when I was using a short password it told me I should use over 20 letters or it
could be cracked.

It said you should always use at least 20 characters.

Now my question is if you use a combination of "*#$and22" how easy would that be to crack?

Your password can be broken in 1.68 hours on this computer. That is by
brute force.

Rainbow tables will take seconds.

My point is what good is encryption program if you can easily crack it.