Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Banning utility software

From: Anja Hofmann <anja.hofmann () ub uni-tuebingen de>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:50:23 +0100

Hi!
Thank you very much for bringing this topic up.
In Germany, a similar law has been passed in August 2007
http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/567
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9759051-7.html
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/German-anti-hacking-law-hijacking-security-/0,130061744,339281161,00.htm
Since then, I'm thinking hard about how to bulletproof our web sites (apache/tomcat or linux/apache/php/mysql)
without making use of software that might be considered illegal.
In this context, I wonder whether some security tools could be rewritten in terms of software testing/reverse engineering (which is legal under certain circumstances here). For example, I might store snippets of test code in a database, instead of loading them as executable scripts, or design my scripts so that they have to be triggered from the machine that is to be tested.
What are your thoughts about this?
Yours sincerely,
Anja Hofmann