Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: shared home directory placement

From: Mike Lococo <mike.lococo () nyu edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:12:53 -0500

hello all, I have a best practices question. I have a large pool of unix
folks that have shared storage for home directories (NFS). Right now,
they only have access to these directories from systems that are located
in the TRUST zone of our network, but we are redesigning things to
segment systems further which will put some systems into a less trusted
zone.  When it's all said and done, hosts that will be in a dmz and
hosts that will be in trust will still need access to this NFS server.

Are you using NFSv3? If so, note that passing NFSv3 through a firewall in a reasonably intelligent manner is non-trivial. Also, note that NFS file-permissions are enforced on the client, not on the server, so a root compromise on a client in the DMZ would allow an attacker full RW access any NFS mounts it has. RW access to a shared filesystem is a pretty big hole to punch through a security zone boundary, and that along with the firewall difficulties leads me to discourage folks from using it across security zones.

The following is a good background document on NFSv3 security issues, the best-available workarounds, and the issues that remain and can't be worked around:

   http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s06.html

What I was wondering is if it would be a Terrible Idea  to move the NFS
server into a DMZ of it's own, out of the Trust zone, and allow access
to it from the hosts in different DMZs as well as hosts in the trust
zone. If the NFS server is compromised by an upstream system, policy
won't allow that system to initiate connections outside of it's own DMZ.

I would worry more than an attacker in your DMZ will use their file system privileges on the NFS server to attack clients in the trusted zone, and if you're using NFSv3 that vector will exist regardless of how good the rest of your zone boundary controls are.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo