Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port-Knocking vulnerabilities?

From: <whip () netspace net au>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:22:37 +1100

A server that is behind a default-drop packet filter is not
_practically_ detectable (say, with an nmap scan).  Can you point to a
piece of software that can reliably perform the timing differences you
are referring to in order to infer that a server is really listening
behind such a packet filter?  Do you have to invoke an additional server
(say, a webserver in addition to an SSH server) that is on the same
system that is accessible and then making a statistical argument around
latencies caused by such a server or something like that?

I believe Craig is referring to a Timing Attack.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_attack

Not really something that you can script for all purposes, but I'm sure
someone with a decent maths grounding could do so for individual attacks,
like this one.

Cheers,
Scott

--
Michael Rash
http://www.cipherdyne.org/

I will get back when I have had a chance to trial it fully.

Regards,
Dr Craig Wright (GSE-Compliance)