Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: restricting mobile users internet access

From: "a42n8k9 dejazzd.com" <a42n8k9 () dejazzd com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:02:44 -0500

You could accomplish this with something like Symatec Client Firewall (not pitching, just what we use) and configure
it's settings to only allow the traffic/sites that you authorize.  Typically, laptops get configured to allow generous
access when there on-site at the LAN and take a "shields up" stance when they're not connected to the local network.

The rub in restricting mobile users to only be able to SSL, IPSEC, whatever back to the main office when they're
remote... relies on the home office being online.  e.g. If the home office is offline then the road-warrior is S.O.L.

You may be better off trying restrict the types of traffic (e.g. blocking certain file types, sites, etc) when not
connected to the LAN... sort of a more restrictive set of rule, but not so tight that it impacts the ability to make $$.

On 16 Jan 2008 21:52:08 -0000, sarcasmo2005 () gmail com