Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mcafee and Norton Anti Virus definition version

From: "The Security Community" <thesecuritycommunity () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:24:17 -0500

The 69th & 70th bytes of the current McAfee definition file
(%CommonProgramFiles%\Network Associates\Engine\Scan.dat) file are the
16-bit DAT version (little-endian).

I asked NAI about this at least 7 years ago and they stated you
shouldn't depend on it because it could change without notice.
However, in all that time it has NEVER changed.

Can't help you with Norton, sorry.