Security Basics mailing list archives

Nessus wont scan VMware Fusion guest.

From: "Steve Kain" <sckain () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:14:19 -0500

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has come across the same issue. I'm a
hobbyist and have been trying to set up a pen testing lab at home. I
decided to use VMware Fusion VM's for my targets.  The VM is a Windows
XP workstation bridged to the adapter of the host, a MacBook Pro
(10.5.2) Running VMware fusion 1.1.1. I'm doing this all using the
wireless interface.

The target(guest) pulls a local IP from the same DHCP server as the
Mac(host) and registers itself in DNS (can ping by name). I can scan
the VM with nmap just fine, but, when I fire up Nessus (current
version) from the Mac the scan just dies after a moment. I've tried
all the different Network configurations. I've also tried scanning the
guest by name, IP and IP range. The scan does pick up everything else
on the LAN, the box thats not being scanned it the only VM (the only
one until I build/ download more). I've disabled the firewall on the
guest, actually the guest is Swiss cheese, no patches in over 200
days.

 I'd consider moving the VM to another box, but, I'd really like my
lab to stay mobile. I hope I've given enough details here.

 I've Goggled it, and looked on VMware's, usually helpful, forums; but, no luck.

 Thanks in advance,

 Steve