Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: secure document merging

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:54:10 +1000

Hi all,
I have been asked by our legal dept to look into the possibility of a
document system which allows the secure modification and filling in of
documents without the person entering the data having the ability to change
the original template document.

Eg we have a lease type document or an agreement template which needs to be
kept secure but the fields that are specific to each lease/agreement need to
be filled in by someone who must not have the ability to change/copy or
distribute the original. This is currently done by having a set number of
‘blank’ documents sent over and then filled in as needed on a typewriter.

I’m sure banks etc must have something similar-eg a web-page or database
input page comes up, the user picks the appropriate doc and then fills in
the appropriate info for the particular agreement. Then the system fills in
the blanks and creates the doc on the fly.

Has anyone ever used or seen something like this that might be available off
the shelf? I thought that ones in banks etc would be custom written.

Thanks