Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISO/Security Team roles and functions

From: "Sergii Khomenko" <sergey.khomenko () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:33:08 +0200

Yes, segregation of duties is a problem.

I think to prevent this, the structure should be the following: CISO
(chief information security officer) reports to CSO (chief security
officer) who takes care of information security and physical security.
CSO reports directly to CEO. If there is no CSO and CISO only, then
CISO reports to CEO. CTO (chief technical officer) and/or CIO (chief
information officer) should be completely separate from the security
branch. Security branch creates rules and audits implementation,
operational branches implement the rules.

This way SoD doesn't take place.

In case with firewall, ids, ips, etc, I think security branch should
mostly work on policies, procedures, baselines etc and operational
branches should implement them, install, tweak, test. And finally when
implementation is done, before the final "go!" security comes and do
the audit of implementation against created by security rules.

Sergey