Security Basics mailing list archives

Help needed with Mandatory Access Control Security Labels

From: "Kelly Robinson" <caliana1989 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:25:14 +1100

Hi, I am studying for my CISSP at the moment and I have a question
regarding Mandatory Access Controls and security labels.

I understand the whole security labels thingy ie Top Secret > Secret >
Classified > Unclassified and I understand some of the different
models and their write-up, read-up, write-down etc rules.

I just dont get the {Resource} part.

Say I have the following (SECRET;{TECHNOLOGY}) and I want read access
to an UNCLASSIFIED document in the SCIENCE resource I am assuming that
since I dont have (SECRET;(TECHNOLOGY;SCIENCE}) that I would NOT have
read access? Is that right?

Thanks

K.