Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FakeAlert virus removal

From: "Mike Staples" <mstaples () wvii com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:05:16 -0500

This situation seems to me more like a computer that is infected with
SmitFraud and the suite of Trojans that come with it rather than a website
that has a problem. Very often, a keylogger is among those Trojans, so this
is a situation that may require changing logon passwords for any service
accessed on the computer while the infection was present.

SmitFraud can be a bear to remove as it sticks randomly-named dll's in the
Winlogon\notify registry area, and it manages to totally reassert itself
when only partial removal occurs; I don't believe it can be removed by
deleting files and registry entries manually, as it stays a few steps ahead
of you, restoring them faster than you can delete them.

When the computer is able to be rebooted into Safe Mode, SmitFraudFix
usually does a good job; increasingly, I see SmitFraud variants that prevent
Safe Mode, causing a reboot when it is attempted. In those cases I've had
good luck with SuperAntiSpyware.

Googling either of those (from an uninfected machine, of course) should
point you in the right direction.

Mike Staples