Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Help on truecrypt recovery

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:32:27 +1000

Truecrypt FAQ:
Q: I forgot my password - is there any way to recover the files from my
TrueCrypt volume?

A: TrueCrypt does not contain any mechanism or facility that would allow
partial or complete recovery of your encrypted data without knowing the
correct password or the key used to encrypt the data. The only way to
recover your files is to try to "crack" the password or the key, but it
could take thousands or millions of years depending on the length and
quality of the password/keyfiles, on software/hardware efficiency, and other
factors.

Did you have a system or method? Any hint/clue to yourself?