Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Different Internet service providers

From: "Andy Cuff (Talisker)" <SecurityLists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:18:13 +0100

Hi Francisco,
We made the mistake of using the same ISP for both our links and are still
suffering as a result.  The cost saving was short lived and whilst up time
was largely maintained we suffered from:

Internal ISP routing problems, home workers couldn't access our primary
network when connecting from the same ISP. This wouldn't have happened with
diverse ISP
Spam Black Lists, all the ISP IP addresses appeared on spam black lists.
Had we had another ISP we would have just changed the mx records
No reverse DNS, our old expensive ISP allowed this
The 24x7 manned support turned out to be, a human being raising a ticket for
the next day

Also consider outages, DDOS and as we once had IP hijack

Regards

Andy Cuff
Computer Network Defence Ltd
www.networkintrusion.co.uk