Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Restricting private "webmail" access from government employer network?

From: "ॐ aditya mukadam ॐ" <aditya.mukadam () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:40:24 +0530

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Meenal Mukadam <meenal.mukadam () gmail com> wrote:

Eric,

Now a days and most of the time, the companies which blocks personal
web-mails etc also block complete internet access.The
management/policies (of such companies) donot want the employees to
access web-mails as they might unknowingly download virus/worms from
emails. Such companies might not have the required man-power to handle
such risk.

If such company decides to allow their users to user web-mail and
internet below are few reasons:

1) The management/security team has installed some URL
filtering/content filtering tool which would now allow them to have a
detailed report of 'which user accessed which site, how many times
etc'. This is most common reason for them to allow the access so that
they can monitor your behavior which will help them than simply
blocking access.
2) The management/security team is confident of counter-measures in
place in case a user downloads virus/worm from their web-mail.

Thanks,
Aditya Govind Mukadam

Hello Eric,

One more reason that i can think of is: "One cannot completely block
those services!" Blocking has ben tried....but nothing can stop a
determined user....it just slows them down...."

By blocking, resources in terms of time, money, human resource, etc
are just wasted. What I mean is few users are so determined that they
will fiddle around with tonnes of proxies and settings to bypass the
restrictions during their working hours. Few even take it up as a
challenge or a fun item to try and bypass the restrictions. So the
resources that I mentioned before are wasted when they can be utilised
in a better way....

Kind Regards,

Meenal A. Mukadam