Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: statefull inspection FW and hackers

From: "ॐ aditya mukadam ॐ" <aditya.mukadam () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:23:14 +0530

my take on SPI:

Stateful inspection can be best understood with security zones/level.

By default, most of the firewall dont allow anything to come from low
security zone to high (ie lets say from internet to internal
resources). This would mean that if internal user accesses internet
his response will be blocked. This is not desirable because we donot
want to keep on opening hole from internet to internal host on the
firewall. We need some mechanism to allow this response/reply back to
the internal user.SPI helps us to achieve it !

As mentioned in the thread and also to keep it simple, SPI maintains a
state table of requests and opens the incoming requests for that
connection  !Rest all the requests from low security zone to high are
denied (if not explicitly allowed)

Thanks,
Aditya Govind Mukadam